Jury Duty is Not Nearly as Cool as Law and Order Makes it Look.

As I mentioned before, I received a summons in the mail to appear at Jury Duty. I was understandably excited at the prospect and when, at 6pm on November 17, I called the Jury hotline to find out if they needed me… THEY DID!

Lucky me.

So I got up this morning at 6am, took a shower and as I was blow drying my hair (around 6:25) my baby (who normally wakes up at 6:35-7) woke up. So I threw on my “business casual” wear for the courthouse and went to get him up and ready.

When I got in there, it was immediately clear what woke him up. Stinky stinky diaper! (Oh how I miss those breast-milk-diapers. These real-food-diapers are BAD). So I changed him, got him dressed and we went off to make his bottle.

By 6:55 he was eating his bottle and I was feeling pretty good about my time line. I had to check in to the jury lounge at 8:30 so I planned to drop him at my mom’s house at 7:30 and show up super early just in case I got lost. Yes, I know I worked downtown for a year and a half and drove there every day and what-not. But I’m not really known for my sense of direction so I just didn’t want to risk it.

By 7:00 he was done with his bottle and I picked him up to carry him into my room so I could grab my shoes and BUURRPPP! It was big, and it included half of the bottle he just had. On the carpet, on my shirt, my robe and in my hair (and of course on Jack’s clothes too). (He was fine. Just didn’t get his food settled enough before a major burp.)

I had to wash it out of my hair with shampoo. I tried rinsing but it smelled SO BAD. So I had to shampoo, re-blow-dry half my hair, then change clothes, then clean the carpet (thank you Bissel Little Green), then change Jack’s clothes and then I could get my shoes take the dogs out and head to my mom’s house.

It was now 7:30. So much for my time line.

Fortunately after dropping him off I was able to find the parking garage really easy, ignoring nearly every turn the Garmin suggested, and I was checking into the jury lounge by 8:30! I was really excited until she said I could go to the jury deli now if I wanted and just to be back in the room by 9 for orientation.

The room was big. The tiles reminded me of a school cafeteria and there were a ton of chairs. People were sitting with a ton of space between each other. So anyways, boring story short. We watched a video about how courts work, we were all sworn in, and around 10 we were all let go because when the defendant heard there was a jury ready to be seated, they plead guilty.

And now I’m at home trying to do laundry and cook dried beans for dinner tonight.

I want to take a nap, but since I lost all of that productivity time from Jack’s first nap being at my mom’s house, I just don’t think I’m going to have the chance!